Accessories

What Is Hypoallergenic Jewelry?

Unfortunately, many people with sensitive skin have an adverse reaction when wearing jewelry, and this can be a rash, redness or itching, and sometimes even oozing. Hypoallergenic jewelry is made from metal that doesn’t cause these unwanted allergic reactions, and also contains very little amounts of nickel. Nickel is the metal that most causes these side effects for people with sensitive skin; other metals to avoid when buying jewelry include costume jewelry and white gold. Jewelry made from platinum and titanium are hypoallergenic and make good choices for those with sensitive skin, and niobium is also a suitable choice. Nickel generally isn’t present in sterling silver, although if you buy any brass jewelry, it can contain nickel. The best thing to do is always to ask, and make sure you’re buying your jewelry from a reputable outlet if you have sensitive skin.