MEP engineering is the art of planning, designing and managing the Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing systems of a building. MEP engineers specialize in key aspects of construction projects like decision making, cost estimation, building management, construction administration, etc.
Picking an experienced MEP engineering firm will not only help building owners dramatically improve the building performance, but also create a much comfortable and safe environment for the occupants. MEP engineers also play a key role in improving energy efficiency of all kinds of buildings.
Importance of Including MEP Engineers in your Project
MEP engineers analyse individual building systems within the overall context of the project for maximizing the building performance, while keeping the costs to a minimum. In essence, MEP engineers can bridge the integration gap between the most efficient building systems and the building architecture.
Below are some of the technical challenges that MEP engineers can effectively tackle:
- Improve factors like lighting, heating, cooling, ventilation, and environmental performance, while maintaining the design integrity and aesthetics.
- Reduce maintenance and operation costs during the entire life cycle of the building systems, while ensuring optimal performance.
- Minimize energy costs.
- Adhere to environmental requirements and promote water and energy conservation.
- Solve plumbing problems and wastewater management.
The MEP engineering market has been growing rapidly over the years, but only a few have the expertise to cover all the aspects. It is important that you do your research before your pick a MEP engineering firm. So how do you pick one?
Below are the main MEP services required in all kinds of building projects:
- Mechanical Engineering (HVAC)
- Air-Handling Systems
- Hot Water Systems
- Chiller and Boiler Plants
- Direct Digital Control Systems
- Exhaust Systems
2. Electrical Engineering
- Electrical Wiring and Conduit
- On-site Power Generation
- Lighting Systems and Protections
- Fire Alarm Systems
- Arc Fault Services
3. Plumbing Engineering
- Domestic Cold and Hot Water Systems
- Storm Water Systems
- Water Conservation Systems
- Domestic Waste and Vent Systems
- Automatic Sprinkler Systems
Choosing A MEP Engineering Firm
The planning and decisions taken at early stage of any projects heavily impacts the success or failure of the project. Just like for any business, choosing the right MEP engineering firm will greatly improve the chance of success.
Below are some of the factors that must be considered before making a decision:
- Innovation and creativity level of the MEP firm:
In most construction projects, design stage is rushed in order to start the project early or get the required approval. A client must ensure that firm has the capability of exceeding the minimum performance in building codes, while adopting creative and effective alternatives. Learning about the work history of a firm can provide useful insights like the quality of work and opinions from the clients.
- Communication skills:
Project communication is often overlooked, but the Project Management Body of Knowledge has dedicated an entire chapter on the topic mentioning its importance in all kinds of projects. For construction projects, written documentation and verbal ability to convey the concepts are the key factors of a successful project.
- Budget adaptability while adding value:
An important thing to keep in mind is that the design and construction costs are only a fraction of the project lifetime cost. Additional upfront investments can help achieve much greater savings over time. As mentioned before, the project portfolio of any firm can provide some valuable insights.
- Ability of delivering quality:
A highly efficient, productive and higher morale team can greatly impact the project delivery on time and on budget regardless of the size of the firm. Evaluate the firm’s approach to design management, collaboration approach, and design leadership over time.