Australia’s National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) has the goal of breaking down barriers between people with disabilities and the wider community. Part of this is enabling these people to choose with whom and where they live. NDIS housing initiatives recognize that housing and living arrangements can have a significant impact on quality of life and can be impacted by the following:
• The distance that people live from friends and family
• Where children attend school
• Whether there work is available in the area and whether there are transport options to reach a place of employment
• The type of community that someone wants to live in
• Whether housing is close to public spaces, activities and services
Overall the goal is to find a well-designed house in an appropriate location that will allow them more independence in their living arrangements, increased connection with the community and access to their social support network.