Ever taken a close look at your office chair and wondered what is this part called? What function does it perform? If you are nodding your head in affirmation, you have landed on the right page. Here is a handy guide to the office chair components. Read on.
The arms of a chair are deemed to take the stress off of the user’s shoulders and neck while sitting on a desk and typing. There are different types of chair arms available in the market.
- Flip up arms: These arms can be flipped up or down to let the user easily get in and out of the chair. They can also be moved if they are getting in the way of the user’s proper posture.
- T-arms: T-arms are available in both fixed and adjustable varieties. The adjustable arms should always be set according to the height of the user and it should match the elbow height when elbows are bent at 90 degrees allowing for the proper typing position.
- Loop arms: These are the fixed arms that do not allow any sort of adjustment.
Arm pads are designed to support the arms of a user. It maximizes ergonomic advantages and comfort. They are sturdy, long lasting and engineered to improvise the look of the chair as well as the work space.
Casters are the rollers installed to the bottom of the chair which lets it moves more easily. They are referred to as chair wheels, but it is just a component of a caster. It is composed of a wheel within a mounted frame, or fork. Casters should be chosen on the basis of the user’s floorings:
- Soft casters are composed of urethane or soft rubber. It can be used on hard surfaces such as tile and wood.
- Hard casters are composed of hard rubber and plastic (nylon). It can be used on carpets or carpet squares.
- Glides are metal or plastic discs which are attached to a chair’s legs to help it move. It can be used on commercial carpets and floors.
It makes the chair stable and mobile. The larger the diameter, the more the stability. They are made of various materials like polypropylene, aluminum, and steel.
It is also called as gas lift. It is installed between the seat and the base, and lets you adjust the height of the chair for comfort.